Skip to main content

Backcountry Access

Backcountry Access at Apex Mountain Resort


Backcountry skiing is rapidly growing in popularity. Once you exit the controlled recreation area and ski outside the boundaries of Apex Mountain Resort, there are some important things to know.

Know Before You Go!

Please visit Avalanche Canada for the latest avalanche hazard forecast as well as other backcountry resources.

Backcountry Tickets

  • Backcountry tickets are available daily, once all Mountain Terrain is open for the season, with exceptions during extreme weather events.
  • Proper gear is required to purchase a ticket. Touring skis, split board or snowshoes are required as well as: an avalanche transceiver and demonstrated ability to use it, probe, shovel and a cell phone.
  • Tickets allow one ride only on the Quad Chair.
  • Opening of lifts and inbounds terrain are dependent on weather, avalanche conditions and other public safety considerations. All inbounds terrain MUST be open for Backcountry tickets to be sold.
  • Please respect all terrain closures.
  • Guests must sign the Backcountry Waiver & complete a trip itinerary.
  • Please note:
    **Apex Mountain Resort (1997) is in no way, liable or responsible once you venture outside the controlled recreation area.

A skier enjoying the backcountry at Apex Mountain Resort

Uphill Travel

There is no uphill travel within the controlled recreation area. The ‘Good, The Bad, The Ugly’ Trail can be used to skin up to secondary saddle. This trail is signed and can also be found on Trailforks.

Re-entering the Ski Area Boundary

Skiers & Snowboarders wishing to re-enter Apex Mountain Resorts controlled recreation area from the back country must have a valid season pass or day ticket. The ski area is closed to all users after 3.30pm everyday. After this time, snow cats, snowmobiles & winch cats will be active. Snowshoers are not allowed within the controlled recreation area without the express permission of Apex Mountain Resort management.
If you require emergency assistance outside the controlled recreation area, please call 911
For additional information, please call us 1-250-292-8222 or email us